Saturday, November 1, 2014

Fact Families for Halloween

For Halloween, I found a cute idea. My class needed help and practice writing fact families. One way to do this is to have them make candy corns. They drew the number bond on the top layer, then the addition and subtraction problems on the other layers. I made a mummy using toilet paper for the bulletin. To show how the activity correlates with the CCSS (which are posted in my room), I wrote the standard on a sentence strip.

I had parent volunteers which made this project easier and allowed the kids to do more than they would have done with just me. I had them fill out a fact family worksheet first, then have it looked at by me. For each correct fact family, they could make 1 candy corn. For my high kids, I assigned fact families (up to 20 and beyond). The others chose an addition fact from an addition chart (up to 10). It worked out really well for differentiating and all of my students felt successful. It also helped them on their test.






No comments:

Post a Comment